The Bare Benefits of Bran, You Say?
Bran is more for people in their golden years, right? Not at all! Bran is a healthy addition to your diet at ANY age for a number of reasons; let’s look at just a few of them.
- Bran is nutrient-dense: Making sure that you have ample nutrients supports a balanced system. Why not eat something tasty and good for you?
- High in Antioxidants: Oat bran is especially high in antioxidants, and it is a great source of phytic acid, ferulic acid, and avenanthramides. What does that mean for you? Reduced free radicals, reduced inflammation, and reduced blood pressure. Could it get any better?
- Bran has been linked with healthy blood sugar levels: Why? Foods high in soluble fiber help slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates through your digestive tract, thus stabilizing your blood sugar levels.
- Supports healthy bowels, which can also lead to weight loss: In addition to increased fiber content, bran’s slow process through the digestive tract keeps you feeling fuller longer. The content of soluble fiber may also raise levels of hormones that help you feel full. And we all know that bran is on the regular list of foods that keep us…well, more regular. Is there anything these muffins can’t do?
I am going to add one of my favorite springtime bran muffin recipes for your consideration. In addition to being heart and GI healthy, it may just help you get ready for swimsuit season. You’re welcome!
Theresa’s Powerhouse Bran Muffins
- 1 cup oat bran flour
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 egg (or 1 egg substitute)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup freshly grated apple
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp orange rind
- 1/8 tsp vanilla liquid Stevia
- 1/3 cup mixed walnut pieces & raisins (optional)
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix liquid ingredients in a separate bowl and then combine both.
Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until browned, and voila! Tasty powerhouse muffins for you and your entire family to enjoy!