Inside Our Bodies: Immune Building Nutrients to Fight Disease
Part 2 of a 3 Part Series
Instead of worrying about the future, take action to protect your body now. Numerous studies and sources are telling us that strengthening our immune system NOW, before you get exposed to coronavirus, the flu or any other virus, makes logical sense. We can certainly work on this through supplementation with nutrients.
1. Vitamin C
The one nutrient that has been proven to be the most effective in helping our bodies prepare to ward off these viruses is VITAMIN C. Yes, there are others I will share with you, but vitamin C, in this case, carries the biggest weight. Know that contagion to a virus largely depends on the susceptibility of the host. It is well established that low vitamin C levels increase susceptibility to viruses¹. Abundant clinical evidence confirms vitamin C’s powerful antiviral effect when used in sufficient quantity! So let’s not have low levels of vitamin C! Let’s get and keep our vitamin C levels up!
Dr. Richard Cheng, director of the International Intravenous Vitamin C China Epidemic Medical Support Team was recently successful during the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan. Dr. Cheng’s vitamin C treatments helped to save a family afflicted by the disease.
If that did not convince you of the power of vitamin C, the following should. On March 3, 2020, an article from Orthomolecular Medicine News Service was released touting the importance of vitamin C levels in overcoming the coronavirus. “Today the government of Shanghai, China announced its official recommendation that COVID-19 should be treated with high amounts of intravenous vitamin C.” Dosages, they state, are approximately 4,000 to 16,000 mg for an adult administered by IV². So if the worst happens and you or a family member are hospitalized because of the coronavirus / COVID-19, please ask for intravenous vitamin C treatments.
What about PREVENTING the Coronavirus / COVID-19?
Dr. Cheng and Dr. Yanagisawa, president of the Tokyo-based Japanese College of Intravenous Therapy, both recommend oral vitamin C for prevention of COVID-19 infection. There is a long history of using vitamin C for preventing illnesses.
So the question is – HOW MUCH vitamin C should you take orally?
“Bowel tolerance levels” of vitamin C, taken as divided doses all throughout the day, are a clinically proven antiviral without equal. Vitamin C can be used alone or right along with medicines if one so chooses.” So what is “bowel tolerance”? Simply, when your body is receiving enough Vitamin C, you will begin to have loose stools. That’s when you know to back off a bit. It’s really we have a clear guideline as to how much vitamin C our bodies need. This amount can vary tremendously based on how much you need at the moment!
The late Dr. Cathcart, a pioneer of high-dose vitamin C therapy explained, “The sicker a person was, the more ascorbic acid they would tolerate orally without it causing diarrhea. In a person with an otherwise normal GI tract when they were well, would tolerate 5 to 15 grams of ascorbic acid orally in divided doses without diarrhea. With a mild cold 30 to 60 grams; with a bad cold, 100 grams; with a flu, 150 grams; and with mononucleosis, viral pneumonia, etc. 200 grams or more of ascorbic acid would be tolerated orally without diarrhea.“ So listen to and observe your own body.
The reason that you see “in divided doses” is because vitamin C is water-soluble and is not stored in our bodies. Therefore, it’s important to keep the supply of vitamin C entering your body at regular intervals, as opposed to taking it all at once.
2. Additional important immune-building nutrients:
- Zinc is a powerful antioxidant, shown to help the body fight infections.
Recommended adult dose: 20-40 mg/day. Zinc lozenges are a nice option, proven to effectively block coronavirus and many other viruses from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. (Avoid the lozenges with sugar content. Stevia sweetened is healthier.)
- Vitamin D3 (plus K2) level is one of the strongest indicators of your immune system strength. This is the sunshine vitamin, which is actually a hormone. About 40% of the public is seriously deficient at a serum level below 20 ng/mL. But 90% are deficient using the level of 40 to 60 ng/mL. My integrative MD suggests blood levels of 70 or higher. Very few people will not benefit from supplementing with vitamin D3. Unlike vitamin C, it takes days and weeks to build up your level of vitamin D3. So taking a lot today is not going to immediately raise your levels. Consistently supplementing with this will allow your levels to slowly build. Combining K2 with D3 avoids complications associated with excessive calcification in your arteries. The Innate Brand offers this combo.
Recommended adult dosage: 2,000 to 5,000 IU / day – and adjust according to your blood test results.
- Magnesium is critical for many health benefits, including allowing your vitamin D3 to activate. If your magnesium levels are too low, it will get stored in its inactive form. If you are getting sufficient magnesium, your vitamin D levels will rise, even if you are taking a much lower dose. In addition to helping your vitamin D3 usage, magnesium is critical for preventing migraines, depression, impotence, premenstrual syndrome, osteoporosis, muscle cramps, kidney and liver damage, bacterial and fungal infections, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Magnesium is involved in over 600 different biochemical reactions in your body.
Recommended adult dosage: 1,000mg to 2,000mg daily is advised by Dr. Mercola.
Of the many magnesium forms available, the two that seem to be the most efficient at penetrating cell membranes are magnesium threonate and magnesium glycinate.
- Did you know that adequate levels of magnesium keep calcium dissolved in the blood so it will not form kidney stones?
- Multivitamin/mineral supplement is like insurance to make sure you are consuming the nutrients you might be missing from your diet and nutrients that might be missing from the food you eat. Please always go as natural and organic as possible.
- Silver. Yes, SILVER. Was your baby’s first spoon SILVER? Silver has been used for centuries as an antimicrobial to kill harmful bacteria, viruses and fungus. Ancient civilizations applied silver to open wounds. Ship crews tossed silver coins into their water storage barrels to keep it fresh. It was used as a natural antibiotic from ancient times until the 1940s when modern antibiotics arrived.
Friends, my family has used silver in the form of colloidal or silver hydrosol for decades for a myriad of health issues very successfully, from pink eye to the flu. I keep it on hand all the time, in a nasal spray form, a liquid form and a gel form (for cuts, etc.)
Colloidal silver is a liquid with a suspension of silver particles plus silver ions. The late Dr. Marijah McCain, a world-class naturopathic doctor for over 25 years, wrote much about this non-toxic antibiotic prophylactic antiseptic. She wrote that the presence of colloidal silver near a fungus, virus, bacterium or other single-celled pathogen disables its oxygen-metabolism enzyme, causing it to suffocate and die in mere minutes with no side effects. I believe if antibiotics had never been developed, we would all still be using silver.
Let me give you just a few of the many silver success stories.
- Dr. Larry C. Ford, who worked at the UCLA Medical School in the 1980s, documented over 650 different disease-causing pathogens that were destroyed in mere minutes when exposed to small amounts of silver. It’s ability to control antibiotic-resistant superbugs is impressive5.
- A study published in the Journal of Virological Methods demonstrated that silver nanoparticles have anti-H1N1 influenza A virus activities6.
- Amazingly, antiviral and antibacterial properties have been shown to help fight bronchitis and pneumonia symptoms, even when the pneumonia is viral7.
Recommended dosages vary. Colloidal Silver or Silver Hydrosol can be taken orally, nasally or can be nebulized and breathed in.
Which of the many colloidal silver products on the market are the most effective?
I do recommend two in particular. They are silver hydrosol products which are a step above the regular colloidal silver products. I do NOT recommend homemade concoctions.
Sovereign Silver can be found in most health food stores. It is, in my opinion, second best to this one, which can be found in offices of medical professionals or on their websites: Argentyn 23 . This is the one our family uses. (Use code Aucoin15 for 15% off) SHOP NOW
- Boosts interferon response to viruses and Covid-19
- Is a zinc ionophore, which helps transport zinc through the cellular plasma membrane and raises the level of zinc inside the cells.
- Can help lower the viral load and reduce the severity of viral infections.
- Hydroxychloroquine is also a zinc ionophore, helping zinc get into the cell.
- Is a natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory
Always remember, your best defense is a good offense. Taking these vitamins and minerals can help you create a stronger immune system and increase your odds in the fight against illness.
Always consult your health care professional for guidance in taking any new health/nutrient products.
Learn what foods can help keep your immune system healthy and strong: Inside Our Bodies: How to Strengthen Your Innate Immune System
- Saul AW. Nutritional treatment of coronavirus. Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, 16:6, Jan 30, 2020. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n06.shtml (22 references and 50 recommended papers for further reading)